Monday, June 22, 2009

ham operator to fugitive to consultant

There is no doubt it is the famous pirates. One of the first trial of computer hackers, Kevin Mitnick has been described in the "computer terrorist" after leading the FBI on three years of research on computer networks, piracy, theft of programs, and the Sun, Motorola and Novell.

Know more than social engineering, in fact, piracy in the network Mitnick frustration of law enforcement not only to stay one step ahead of them, but how alien cake left to find an empty house raided.

Finally arrested in 1995, Mitnick pleaded guilty to wire and computer fraud charges and was released from prison in 2002. His popularity helped him get the call and start a lucrative consulting security, will be paid in some of the actions that landed him in prison.

In the first phase of the three parts of a series of C hackers, Mitnick and talked to the News CNET, now 45 years old, interested in computers, in the first place, the entry of the differences between today and three decades ago, and if it is desirable to appoint a former black hat hackers to safety.

Question: When piracy start?
Mitnick: When I was 16 or 17 years when I was in high school - 1979 period, even before it was illegal.

How do I upgrade?
I am very interested in the phones. I was an important player for amateur radio, for about three years in high school, I met other students, the quality of which was radio, and another student has a passion for the freaking phone and gave me. It can do amazing things with the telephone line. Is the number of non-registered. If I had had my phone number I could get the name and address ... I can do all these magic tricks with the telephone system. I would also like to have an interest in radio by telephone. Brought me in the phone phreaking, and if the phone companies began the transition to electronic systems, and mechanical and electrical systems, which are used in computers to the front to control it. Yes, the phone company in the automation of operations. For more phone phreaking the phone system and I do not need to read the computer. I even faced a break.

Yes, I have to hack the phone phreaking?
Yes. Computer system and telephone company called Cosmo, who stood in the computer system. Well, the first break as a student at Monroe High School in Sepulveda, California. In the San Fernando Valley. I met another student who was very close to the PC, this time is the leader in the Vienna International Center 20. It indicates that the computer education courses for the elderly, but not great and made me a professor. It would not be me in the classroom. Not all of these tricks of the electronic system in your phone, and the teacher was surprised, and reject any preconditions, and let me in the classroom. I think that now regrets that decision.
In high school, parents and others who actually encouraged the (piracy) ... If I was able to storm into the computer technology in schools is a child. Today, if you call the police or chased.

What do I do with the phone after that?
I think that shows, calling on companies regulations. You can interact with them, and you have to touch tone. Gave me the name and living in the city, and was able to obtain the phone number. I have a radio with an important phone line and the type of interaction between your computer and access to them through contact with the masters of sound. At that time was very good, because you do not have a voice response system, as it is today. When it was said that the challenge can be done?
At that time I was in fact hiding in the Denver, Colo .. One of my colleagues and handed me a brochure on the phone, and I thought it was very cold, such as the iPhone today. I really want to see what the communication protocols used on the network, and how it works? I thought I might have changed the software code on the telephone and the government makes it difficult to trace me. For example, there are techniques employed by the Government at any time, by turning the phone and, in communication with the mobile phone company. I would like to be able to stop, and thus the basis for a fire call, and do additional things to do so. At that time I had this idea, but it did not send him because he was too busy breaking ... Was not a good trophy. When I have the source code, Motorola phone, and I am fascinated by. Considered it, and read and tried to understand what I was able to understand.

After that I was different after the second mobile phone, which was really the cup. It is important for obtaining access to the code to keep it in the USC in Los Angeles, as well as the transition to the next stage. Here's how it caught fire. USC administrators noted that most of the disk space used, and their risk, and called the FBI. Companies that do not realize it was broken. The United Somali Congress, which was found ... I do not spend any time trying to hide (the code). The fall of my country.

Do you know what you are doing is illegal?
I started in the'70s by piracy and the basis for the absence of a law against it or against piracy, phreaking. In high school, parents and others who have contacted him already. If morality is not taught. If I was able to storm into the computer technology in schools is a child. Today, if you call the police or chased. Was also awarded by the intelligence, when I started. Incriminate him or her and then at a later date. It depends on the game of adventure, and then after a few years, although to become illegal. Was exciting and adventurous. This is the mystery of all the solutions, using intelligence to get around the obstacles. It's like a big game.

What would you do if you could go back in time?
Back, did not do what I did, because I am now smarter and more intelligent than, and caused a lot of networks and system managers, however, many of the outstanding head. Was a bad thing to do. But if there is no such thing as the absence of a penetration test and security in the school curriculum. Do I have to have known himself. How you aware of security and services - through piracy. Took the wrong path to do so. I will not repeat it. Currently, there is a degree of penalty), and tested, and books on the subject. At that time, many companies and universities do not give a lot of thought and security.

When I was 17 years old, and the phone company I was angry to violations of their own - instead of using a computer, and drought, but the social engineering, communication and advocacy to control communication over the telephone, or staff. Were not there laws against that. They are, in fact, Yanks phone in our house, and lived with his mother at the time. I was in high school. Do not let the telephone and gave the City Commission of the California rule that if there was fraud or misuse of the telephone companies could withdraw the phone.

Instead of working to end the run, I would like to be one of its activities. We live in a condo. The condo unit numbers, and we had 13 pieces. I went to the hardware store, and access to numbers 1, 2, and B, each unit 12B. Contacted the telephone company and told them that the construction and building another unit in the condo complex. Then came the telephone company, telephone 12B for the new joint on my and my mother. Then we are on the phone for two weeks and one day just after his death. Phone companies are evil, because it has made efforts to develop a madman. After six months we have received a return phone service, but we can only outgoing calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment